Monday, April 7, 2008

Okay, an update to all the things I mentioned last time:

---

In EVE, RvB seems to be suffering from /major/ inactivity right now. The last couple of weeks the number of kills has dropped significantly. Where one day would see anywhere up to 30 ships killed/lost per side, now there are max 7 per day. Most days it's like 4-5. That's pretty terrible considering that this is in multiple timezones.

Oh well, it was a good idea while it lasted. Farewell RvB. o/

I've also got the urge to play EVE a little more recently, and I don't know why. Possibly because I am severely low on games right now. Could also be linked to my co-worker Satan playing again, and some problems I've had with Lord of the Rings Online.

---

I DLed the premiere of Season 4 for Battlestar Galactica and watched it the other day. Man, that show is good. But it pisses me off when they end with a cliffhanger and "To Be Continued ...". Smallville did that all the time and maybe that's why I don't get all excited about watching it anymore.

---

Played Freelancer a little with Inferno the other day, but we didn't get that far, and we ended up getting wasted by some INSANE pirate NPCs. Missions that make us take out pirate bases are no good. Period. Even with our new upgraded ships.

I think we have to go back to doing missions around our levels and slowly make money that way. We got cocky and thought we could make the big money fast (money is tied to what level you are in Freelancer), but we were wrong.

Still fun though. I just wish that we could play whenever, like an MMO, so that we could level up when both of us can't necessarily play. Inferno is on graveyards ATM, so we don't have much in the way of mutual free time.

---

Played a little of STALKER but I've left it alone for a while, mainly cause I'm annoyed that I lost my savegame. I might try and get it off my old harddrive just so that I can skip all this earlier stuff. Plus, I had some sweet unique weapons that I'd found, and I really miss them.

Crysis also got a little time the other day too. I still had my savegame so it was pretty easy jumping back into it. But I got to the point that my one roomie had mentioned, and the game pissed me off. I really don't have a desire to play it right now. Maybe later I will. Who knows.

---

I've played Lord of the Rings Online (LotRO) the most in the last couple weeks. But that's still not saying much. My Captain is still only level 14, and my Guardian is around 12. Inferno and I played a Guardian/Loremaster duo for most of the time I played LotRO in the last while. But I seem to get easily annoyed at Inferno when we play MMOs. He just doesn't seem to grasp the complexities of MMOs, and ends up playing them by hitting the same 3-4 buttons all the time.

It annoys me more with our duo in LotRO cause he is supposed to be "backing me up" with situational healing, mezzes and damage. But he seems only to do the damage, so I get fucked if we aggro more than one mob. I checked what skills Loremasters get for his level and he has /never/ used the healing ability on me, nor can I recall him ever using it on himself. He is a rather poor MMO player, basically.

It's sad to say, but I actually didn't enjoy duoing with him for a good chunk of our time, and I was hoping that he wouldn't upgrade to a paying account. So far, he hasn't bought the game, and his trial has been over for 3-4 days now. He seemed mostly annoyed that his monster character (creeps, as they are called in LotRO) can't fight 1 vs. 1 with a good guy player (freep). He played more of the PvMP (player vs. monster player) side of things in LotRO than he did the PvE side. Hopefully the imbalance in the PvMP system will keep him from subscribing. I really don't enjoy duoing with him in MMOs. WoW was the same when we played it, too.

We have had lots of fun playing co-op in non-MMO games though. Neverwinter Nights and the expansions, Ghost Recon, Rune, Aliens vs. Predator, Sacred, Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, Freelancer and probably some others I can't remember. Maybe because those ones aren't too complex, or maybe it's just cause he understood them better.

---

I've also become somewhat disillusioned with LotRO as of late. I had lots of fun at the beginning but now it seems like it's gone. Perhaps because I played with Inferno, or maybe because I tried playing other classes and found them lacking, as well as repeating the same content with them (ie. boring myself in the process). I don't know.

I think if I go back to my Captain and stick with just him for now, I might actually enjoy my time in LotRO. If not, I already cancelled my subscription so I won't be charged for another month. I think I still have like almost 2 1/2 weeks left, so I should be able to figure out if I want to keep playing by then.

---

As for tabletop, our friend has decided to run a DnD game in a maritime setting. Ships, pirates, etc. There's no cannons, and gunpowder, but that's okay as people have fireballs and other spells. Our friend is probably the best GM in our group so it's always a pleasure to game with him. He's already made the game interesting a little, and I'm really getting into my character.

I've decided to go a completely different route this time and play a "face" character. The face is the character who acts as the party's diplomat, leader (sometimes), etc. He is the one who does all the NPC interaction, which lets me get more RPing time. All of my old characters have been quiet, in the back ones. None of them have been face characters. It's been pretty interesting so far. The only downside is that I've taken a level of Rogue to start, as it gives me more skillpoints, better weapon proficiencies, sneak attack damage, and allows me to eventually take a prestige class that looked cool. The Scarlet Corsair, ie. a terrifying pirate! It's a really cool prestige class, and I felt my character would be a really cool pirate. Mostly because after the level of Rogue I'm going all Warlock (which are feared spellcasters in the public eye), and he will have max ranks in Intimidate. It's going to be great.

But ... it seems we're going back to our old campaign for the next while, just so we can finish off our one story arc. I really don't want to, but the other guys all do. I think we'll probably leave that campaign altogether once the arc is done, as we'll probably all be around level 15-16 by then, and that's when everything starts to get ridiculous.

Also, we have a girl in our tabletop group now. This is the first time I've ever gamed with a girl, but she's pretty cool, and doesn't seem to have much difficulty with the system or setting so far. Plus, she is friends with many of our tabletop buddies as they all worked together over the years. I think our one friend's wife, who is also friends with the new girl, didn't approve of us letting her play. We're corrupting her I guess, bringing her over to the "Geek side". :P

---

That about covers it all for now.

Take it easy,
The Rev.

No comments:

Post a Comment