Wednesday, September 6, 2006

I've finished watching the Firefly series, including the little bit of extras that they added. It's really depressing to see such a great show with so much potential, and such an interesting and unique setting, get left by the wayside. I still can't believe that FOX aired the series out of order too. That was just idiotic.

Since I started watching the show, I've had the urge to come up with a sci-fi tabletop game along similar lines. It wouldn't be exactly the same, I'd simply use some of the ideas, and make them my own. Things like the mega-planet single star system would be one of the things I'd get rid of first off. It really makes no sense, from a purely scientific point of view.

Hopefully, I can convince my tabletop group to switch from DnD 3.5 to GURPS 4th edition. My friend is going to try and get the rest of them interested by first running a Vikings themed game, so they can learn the rules and such. Perhaps down the road, if we stick with GURPS, I can run my space game. DnD is fucking terrible, IMO. And the 3.5 rules just make it nothing more than a mindless videogame. I play enough of those as it is, thank you very much.

Speaking of games, I got the deluxe edition of the first Call of Duty. I've been playing it on the second hardest difficulty setting (can't remember what it's called), and it's been fucking hard to say the least. But totally enjoyable nonetheless. I can't remember playing a game that made combat feel so hectic and chaotic. It's a very good interpretation of what war /might/ feel like. I say "might" cause until someone is actually involved in it themselves, they can't really have a clue what it's like.

Anyway, despite it's somewhat old graphics, and slightly buggy nature, I've found it a lot of fun. Though I'm into the first British level already, so I don't know how much longer it's going to last. The deluxe edition came with the United Offensive expansion, and I don't know how many levels that has. There's probably no point playing it multiplayer online, as it's so old and the 2nd version has come out, that most likely no one plays it anymore. Once I've finished this one, I'll probably get Call of Duty 2.

I'm not sure why I didn't get either one in the first place, as I remember really enjoying the demo of the first one. It was probably because I had other games at the time, or I wasn't interested in a WWII game at that point.

---

In other game fronts, the Chronicles of Spellborn /should/ be coming out somewhat soon. They stated they want the game out Q4 2006, so I'm betting it'll be sometime in Nov or Dec. No matter. Most of the MMOs/expansions slated for 2006 have been pushed back anyway. WoW's expansion will most likely be delayed. Funny thing about that actually ...

My work friend asked me if I was going to play the WoW expansion. I kinda looked at him like: I said, "How can I play the expansion when it's going to be /entirely/ for lvl 60 and higher? I don't have a lvl 60 character." He kinda tried to justify it anyway. He still keeps trying to get me to join him on Dark Iron (a PvP realm) so we can raid together. I have /absolutely no interest/ in raiding. I can't see how he doesn't understand that. Eh .. he'll probably quit before the expansion comes out anyway.

Huxley, an MMOFPS, has been pushed back to some time in 2007. God knows when. It'll probably be lag-tastic though. Planetside was horrible too. FPS games just don't work in a large scale type of environment. That's one thing I'm worrying about with Spellborn. It's FPS style controls and targeting, yet it has the skill deck ability thing. Healing could really be a bitch in combat, especially if people and mobs are clustered together. Hopefully, they can get it working right. Or I can see lots of people not sticking with the game past the first month.

---

Neverwinter Nights 2 is supposed to be out in October, so hopefully that will be another good game to pick up. I really hope the toolset is good, and fairly similar to the original one. I'd hate to have to re-learn all of it again. The campaign will probably be okay, but I'm betting that it won't be stellar. Obsidian's reputation with Knights of the Old Republic 2 isn't that great. It might have had something to do with pressure from Lucasarts, but we'll never know.

The FEAR expansion should be cool, though I bet it'll be fairly short. Most expansions are. Other games I'm keeping on my radar:
  • Hero's Journey (looks promising, and the developer's good history with RP is a nice plus)
  • Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
  • Spore (my RL friend is eagerly awaiting this)
  • Star Trek Legacy
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance
  • Star Trek Online (waaaay off)
  • Tabula Rasa (looks kinda cool, but may end up sucking hardcore. Still on the fence with this one)
  • Hellgate: London (for the co-op and replay possibilities)
  • Bioshock (if it's anything like System Shock 2, I'll be peeing my pants in anticipation)
  • Crysis (still have to play Far Cry, made by the same developers)
Wow .. that's a lot of games. And all I did was look at www.3dgamers.com's News section so I could remember some of them.

Looks like I'll have a lot of cool stuff on my plate in the future. If only some of it was here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment